Friday 27 March 2015

Mini Workshop

I haven't had much time to post in the last few weeks as I've been busy working on developing my student's abilities to work in small groups together and to explain and justify mathematically in order to problem solve. 

Today we were a little stretched for time so I did a mini workshop with Group 2 around basic fractions. They loved this as they got to write on the table with whiteboard markers. We were looking at halves and quarters of shapes and then sets. 

I asked them, "If I have 16 counters and that is my whole, can you draw what halves would look like? Quarters? (and for those that finished quickly) Eighths? I asked them to write an equation next to their representation which proved that the pieces made the whole.

Here are my girls next to their work:









12 comments: