Tuesday 12 May 2015

Measurement

Hello, it has been a while since my last post so I'm trying very hard to catch up on posting about my students. My groups have been working hard for the past couple of weeks learning about measurement using both non standard and standard units.

I have been using ideas from measurement units that can be found on http://nzmaths.co.nz/length-units-work I have found them very valuable and have been altering them or adapting them to suit my students and where they are at.

We have been mainly looking at length and width. 

Group 3 and 5 have been looking at estimations, length, width, benchmarks, surface area, distance, total distance, average, centrimetres and metres to name just some. They have made paper planes (see unit http://nzmaths.co.nz/resource/paper-planes-level-2) which they flew against each other and then were asked to measure the distance, work out total distance, average flight distance etc. They used measuring tapes for this which meant they had to convert metres into centimetres. 

Group 1, 2, 4 have been doing a lot of work around estimations, length, width, non standard units i.e. pencils, hand spans, blocks etc moving on to 1cm cubes, 10cm blocks and making their own rulers. 

Most of the activities have been very hands on which has helped to engage the children in the learning.

The next step will be problem solving with a measurement context.

Below are some photos of my various groups learning about measurement recently:
































3 comments:

  1. Awesome! I love the different activities and the kids are engaged!
    Awesome to see group one hard at work too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who knew learning could be so much fun! :)

    ReplyDelete