Friday 5 September 2014

The Egg Couch

Last week I had the chance to interact with other Math Support Teachers from around New Zealand at our Seminar Days. I was shown this fabulous idea of using the below image as a basis for a Mathematical investigation:

Source: Eggs Sofa by Fulvio Bonavia http://adsoftheworld.com/media/print/axn_sonys_satellite_tv_channel_eggs_sofa

Yesterday I used this image for the first time with a class of Year 7 students. Each group were given the image and asked to list down all the things they noticed about the picture i.e.I notice the eggs are in trays, there are lines going down etc. 

Once they had written down the things they noticed, they were then asked to write down any questions under 'I wonder' i.e. I wonder who made this couch? how is it stuck together? etc.

Then we had a quick discussion on the types of questions they had come up with. Are they mathematical, scientific, general?

From here they were asked to make predictions of how many eggs they thought there may be altogether. We discussed what a prediction was and an example of a good prediction versus a silly prediction.

The groups made their predictions and then started thinking about how they would go about completing this investigation i.e. what strategies could we use?

We ran out of time so unfortunately we didn't get any further however, this is great because investigations take time and this helps the students learn perseverance when attempting to solve challenging mathematical problems.

I will be using this same image with my groups, so check back in the next couple of weeks to see how they undertook the challenge : - )

Here are some photo's of room 7 working on the problem:




Here are a couple of photo's of some of my year 7 and 8 students working on their piece of the egg couch:



10 comments:

  1. Love this idea. Previously, I have used a fruit shop picture with the fruit on the bottom set out as 9x8 for example and the chn had to work out how many there are in total and then extended with different bases. Love this idea though and will definitely be using. Many thanks for sharing : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds great, I may have to try that. Thanks for visiting my page :-)

      Delete
  2. Wow! What an eggscellent idea!! I love how all the students look enthused about their problem solving task!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg if i have to created that chair it took me 100 day to created it.
    froom sina room13

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is great working it looks like a lot of working out

    ReplyDelete
  5. i like the amazing egg couch pepe RM 17

    ReplyDelete
  6. welldone I wish I was like yous by Michael room17

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love the working out pepe RM 17

    ReplyDelete